Recently Outlook 2011, which is a part of the Office for Mac 2011 suite, has had issues with maintaining connections with Rackspace Hosted Exchange Servers. Menlo Technical has been able to determine that this is happening with the current Outlook 2011 Service Pack 1 (v 14.0.0), and OS X 10.6.8. When requesting an update from Office for Mac, the updater claims there are no new updates. This is not correct. There are several patches that have been released since Office for Mac, Service Pack 1.
The solution is a little complicated because it requires the user to either rebuild the database (using the included database rebuild utility), or to wipe the Exchange User Account from the Outlook 2011 program, using the database utility, and then reconnecting to the user Exchange account.
While Rackspace is doing an great job and figuring out how to resolve this bug for their end users, it was informative to review the POST Service Pack 1 patch release notes directly from Microsoft. These are the notes to the patches to be applied AFTER Service Pack 1.
Microsoft Release Notes excerpts:
Improvements for Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 (Release 14.1.4)
– Password expiration notice issue is fixed.
– This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook to display an incorrect password expiration notice.
– Sync efficiency is improved
– This update improves sync efficiency with accounts on Microsoft Exchange servers when the permission settings are changed for a shared or delegated folder.
Improvements for Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 (Release 14.1.3)
– Reliability of Free/Busy information is improved
– This update fixes an issue that causes incorrect Free/Busy information to be shown in Outlook 2011 when Microsoft Exchange servers are located in the UTC +8 Perth time zone.
– Reliability of delegate information is improved
– This update fixes issues that sometimes cause delegate information to be lost when the following conditions are true:
– Changes are made to account settings.
– User certificates are added or removed.
– Stability is improved
– This update fixes an issue that causes some users to be unable to log on after you upgrade to Office for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1.
Improvements for Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 (Release 14.1.2)
– Contact images display in the Contacts Search box
– This update fixes an issue that causes Outlook not to display contact images in the Contacts Search box.
– Import from Apple Mail is disabled in Outlook on Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
– This update disables the option to import from Apple Mail in Outlook because it does not work as expected in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion.
– The “Remove from View” option is enabled for shared calendars
– This update fixes an issue that occurs when the user adds shared calendars and opens the contextual menu for the shared calendar. The Remove from View option is disabled from the contextual menu.
– Free/busy information for Exchange 2003-based mailboxes displays correctly
– This update fixes an issues that causes the display of free/busy information for Exchange 2003-based mailboxes to be off by one hour when scheduling a meeting.
– Time zone information is updated
– This update provides updated time zone information.
Improvements for Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 (Release 14.1.1)
– Synchronization functionality is updated.
– This update increases support for Sync Services, and adds calendar, notes, and tasks syncing.
– Rules functionality is improved.
– This update introduces support for Microsoft Exchange-based Server-Side rules.
– Resend functionality is included.
– This update reintroduces functionality to resend an email message to the same or new recipients.
– Redirect functionality is included.
– This update reintroduces functionality to redirect an incoming email message to other recipients.
– Meeting invitation functionality is improved.
– This update improves creating meeting invitations by including a list of recently used locations.