Google has released a new web campaign specifically to help businesses and consumers so they can have a better understanding of Privacy and the Internet. It is called the Good to Know series and we will be posting elements of it here as a short series of blog posts throughout the course of the week. So much misinformation has been put on the Internet, confusing the public (both on purpose to manipulate public opinion and at times manipulate stock prices) that Google went out of their way to actually present helpful and accurate information. Many thanks and kudos to Google for putting this together.
Good to Know Part 1 – Stay Safe On Line
… tips and advice for staying more secure on the web
There are so many fascinating things to do and explore online, but there are also times when the Internet can be a little bit scary. Just like in the offline world, it’s important to keep yourself safe and secure. Whether you’re a new Internet user or an old hand, it’s good to stay updated on the best practices when it comes to sharing your data online and browsing safely. Here we give you advice for staying more secure on the web and an overview of some of the security tools that Google offers.
The video below discusses 5 easy steps to help stay safe online.
1) Use strong passwords – read our previous posts here and here
2) Enable 2 Step Verification for email / Google Gmail
3) Always update your software like Flash, Java and
4) Consider ignoring ALL links within email that is from a friend without knowing what it is, or warns you of a fine, personal arrest, prize or dangerous situation that requires a click on a link or a reply.
5) Regularly scan your computer – Enterprise clients already have this installed, and can manually run these. Personal laptops, tablets and computers will require a prudent purchase on the part of the owner. (Note: Install only ONE trusted and reputable anti-virus software. Install only ONE trusted and reputable anti-Malware software specifically for real-time Malware or Spyware protection, along side the anti-virus software. Some anti-virus software include anti-malware and anti-spyware protection.)
Watch the short video on this topic for illustrated details …
Click below to get more details on Google Good to Know Stay Safe Online site to see the other topics in this category: